CHEM 110 New Questions - Set 1
1. Give three examples of pure chemicals that can be purchased
at a grocery store.
2. Name a pure element that is used to make water pipe and
3. Describe what happens when sugar is heated strongly.
4. If a pure substance cannot be chemically decomposed into two
of more other substances, the pure substance is called
5. If a mixture has the same appearance as a pure substance, the
mixture is called a/an _____________.
6. If a material can be determined to be a mixture by visual
observation, the material is a/an _____________.
7. True or False: The properties of a compound are vastly
different from the properties of the elements into which it
can be decomposed.
8. Give three examples of pure compounds.
9. Give three examples of pure elements.
10. Give three examples of solutions.
11. Give three examples of heterogeneous mixtures.
12. Give symbols for the following elements:
13. Determine whether each of the following elements is
nonmetallic or metallic: Al, S, O, Fe, Cu, Cl, H, Na, K
14. State a fact that is true for all compounds.
15. How does the total weight of the reactants in a chemical
reaction compare to the total weight of the products?>
16. Show how Dalton's Atomic Theory accounts for the Law of
Conservation of Matter.
17. Write the formulae for the following:
18. Draw a picture of a water molecule.
19. The following is the molecular formula for sulfuric acid:
H2SO4 How many hydrogen atoms, sulfur
atoms, and oxygen atoms are contained in 1 molecule of sulfuric
acid? How many of each in 10 molecules of sulfuric acid?
20. If a material consists of molecules all of which are
identical and in each molecule all the atoms are identical,
what type of material is it?
21. If a material consists of molecules all of which are
identical and each molecule contains atoms of different elements,
what type of material is it?
22. If a material consist of two different types of molecules
with all the molecules randomly and uniformly mixed, what type of
material is it?
23. If two electrically charged objects are attracted to each
other what must be true about the nature of the charges?
24. For the following compounds, indicate whether each is
molecular (made of molecules) or ionic (made of ions). Hint:
ionic compounds always contain at least one metal and one
25. Balance the following reactions:
H2 + O2 --> H2O
Na + Cl2 --> NaCl
B + O2 --> B2O3
S8 + O2 --> SO2
P4 + Cl2 --> PCl5
Ba + S8 --> BaS
Al + CuCl2 --> AlCl3 + Cu
KOH + H3PO4 --> K3PO4 + H2O
26. Write a balanced equation for the complete combustion of
27. Name a device that will accomplish each of the following
transform chemical energy into thermal energy
transform chemical energy into electrical energy
transform electrical energy into radiant energy
transform mechanical energy into electrical energy
28. The conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy in a
gas-fired plant is very inefficient (35% conversion) with most of
the chemical energy ending up as waste heat. Which of the steps
in this energy conversion is primarily responsible for lack of